Re: [LUG] grub error 25

 On 02/12/11 23:39, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 02/12/11 19:25, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> He said it was Debian Lenny - that's a few year old now and Reiser was
>> still in-vogue back then...
> s/in-vogue/the most mature journalling file system in the kernel/ ;)
>
> Which I'm guessing will still be true till they drop support.

If I remember correctly, back around kernel 2.6.33 (?) they kludged
around some of the crappiness of reiser's infamous BKL (big kernel lock)
stupidity by switching to recursive mutex instead: sadly, it didn't help
a lot because reiserfs is architecturally based heavily around BKL and
serious re-writing would be required to sort out the mess. Long story
short, reiserfs has always, and will always, scale badly on SMP systems
due to concurrency problems.

Version 3 is inherently crippled on modern systems (or any older, bigger
multi socket/core server gear), a production-ready version 4 will
probably never see the light of day. Reiserfs did admittedly have some
small benefits years ago when ext3 was a limiting factor as it scaled
bigger and was faster for many/smaller file type workloads, and was
quite efficient. Now we all have SMP boxes with multi-terrabyte disks
and ext4 though, and even SuSE dropped it five years ago as the default
FS. Reiser3 also had it's share of particularly idiotic problems (which
I have personally had to fix many times in case you're wondering why I'm
so bitter): some asynchronous operations on the many/small files case
that reiserfs is touted at being so good at would result in data
corruption frequently - postfix being the worst. Reiser fsck was broken.
And I could go on...

As for the most mature journalling file system in the kernel, I can only
guess you're joking right? That would be XFS. Older, bigger, faster and
with more features and stability.

I can definitely understand why people *used* to use reiserfs back in
the days, but those days are very, very long gone. I wish to god that
either BTRFS would reach stable or someone could beat some sense into
Oracle so we could have ZFS in kernel - preferably both if at all possible.

Cheers,

Mat