Re: [LUG] interesting security hole

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011, tom wrote:

Using Ubuntu in gnome mode if I leave Firefox running with the bookmarks menu hanging down the screensaver doesnt kick in until the menu is closed. This means anyone passing by can see my desktop.
Anyone seen this and know how to make the screensaver work proper like

I'm not sure that's particularly tied to gnome & firefox - I think there's something about the X notifier that gets stalled when some menus are open, but it's years since I looked at any X programming.

I notice other things like the virtual window switcher not working when a menu is open and I want to look at something in another window - eg. when typing a URL into firefox and it pops-up what's effectively a pull-down menu with histtory choices - unless I click on the desktop to make it go away, I can then move the mouse to the edge of the screen to switch windows (by which I mean virtual screens)

Annoying at best...

Gordon