Re: [LUG] OpenOffice.org )-:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Adrian Midgley wrote:

I'd ask her to split the document into several, either main body and
appendixes/ces or just chapter one two three four five.

If one of the documents flakes out then look for a reason there.

50 pages is a bit big for one document, I think.

Is it? It's a moderately sized document from her point of view. A report on some 2-3 months of work... A lot of it is diagrams and tables...

The down-side of-course is that she'd think nothing of doing that sort on thing in XP/MS Word when she was employed by DCC..

Not enough time to teach her LaTeX for this project (and I don't have the time to re-do it for her either) but in-general her whole Linux experience is being dulled by this - here's me saying how stable and fast it is and then when she actually tries to use it, it's just as unstable (or more so!) then her old MS Windows setup.

And this is Debian "stable" too... Of-course OOo has now moved beyond the version supplied by Debian 6, so it's highly likely the bugs she's falling foul of have been fixed, but is that then any different from MS and patch Tuesdays?

She's not quite finished the report yet, and is paranoid about changing (even if it means saving every 3 miuntes) so I might install it on my workstation and see if it's any better there before putting it (LO) on her PC.

Cheers,

Gordon