Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:52:48 +0000
From: linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Resizing partitions.

   On 22/11/11 16:24, Jack Oley wrote:

       Hi all.  I wish to reduce my Windows partition and expand my
       Ubuntu (11.04) partition.  I've tried using GParted (live cd)
       and with its user-friendly GUI, things look to be very
       straightforward.  I can shrink the Windows partition and expand
       the extended partition which contains the Ubuntu, but when I go
       to complete the process, I get an advisory which says moving the
       start sector may result in the PC failing to boot.  So, I am
       very reluctant to go ahead just in case.  Will it be ok?  Do I
       have to move the Ubuntu section over to the left of the newly
       resized extended partition?  Is there anything I can do to
       ensure it will boot..?  Many thanks for any advice or guidance.
        Jack.

   You really should make a backup just in case. I have found
     that Windows does fail to boot when you resize a Windows partition
     so be prepared for that.

     The process I have had to follow in the past is to use a Windows
     Recovery CD (which will remove GRUB if successful) and then use a
     Live CD to get GRUB back. You might want to look online on how to
     do that but it is pretty straight forward.

     Gibbs