Re: [LUG] firefox popups

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, tom wrote:

I seem to be getting popups from firefox despite it being configured to prevent them.
Anyone got a clue as to their origin and how to defeat them?

From what I can tell, there are pop-ups and pop-ups... and from what I
gather, /those/ pop-ups use AJAX techniques to draw a new window some time (seconds/minutes) after the main page has loaded, so even with the pop-ups blocked setting in firefox, what you really need to do to kill these is to run no-script. But then most sites done in web 2.0reah look utterly shite without it. (A lot of them are shite with it, but that's another issue)

The ones I like (when I have time) are the ones that pop-up that blocks what I'm reading to tell you that someone is avalable for chat, then to chat with them and tell them that because of their annoing pop-up I'll not be buying from them. Same as when a sales assistant approached me in a shop and asks if they can help me. (something I really hate).

Gordon