Re: [LUG] Penzance School spends £300,000 on an iPad for every pupil

IT CAN be a panacea and a holy grail. I would personally say that it will, in the long term, replace a huge amount of the current teaching experience. Currently it is being used by the deluded/dishonest* and/or greedy to try and foist proprietary wares on people to generate revenue streams. As a teacher make your lessons HTML and sharealike them so other teachers and students can use them, share them and improve them. If we can get teachers to share lessons rather than every teacher spending their lives preparing the (nearly) identical lessons that every other teacher is preparing then perhaps teachers can get around to teaching.
Actually there are lots of free online resources and lesson planning sharing sites around. There are even CMSs available to facilitate this (Moodle). There are also whole schemes of work covering the whole curriculum available (for a price). Some of those I've seen are pretty reusable (Word/Excel etc).
If we continue to make it easy for companies to introduce these toxic methods into schools we'll keep going backwards.
Tom te tom te tom
If we're going to get into the realms of reusability, structured writing and content over style, I'd rather see modular training produced using XML rather than HTML. Something like the Docbook schema (and there are others) fits very well. I really can't see teachers writing in this way at all though - trainers? Maybe, not teachers though. The best we'll get from teachers is a Word document. They've got better things to do with their scarce free time.

Martin