Re: [LUG] Penzance School spends £300,000 on an iPad for every pupil

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011, Anthony Williams wrote:

And then there is the issue that it is an *iPad*. This is just as bad as buying Windows kit, if not worse. Apple keeps a very tight control over what is and isn't allowed to run on an iPad. If they wanted tablets (and I'm not sure that is a good idea, for the reasons above) then Android tablets would surely have been cheaper and a better prospect; at least Android is linux-based, and you are in full control over the device, rather than being held hostage to Apple.

While I have feelings about the iPad issue, I have to say, based in my own recent experiences that being in full-control of an Android device is utter bolox.

However i might be that phones are treated different to Android tablets - I've no experience of an android tablet - yet.

What I do know is that it's impossible to use a modern Android phone (e.g. my HTC Desire Z) fully without a Google account - and worse, not only a google account, but a gmail account. Delete your gmail account and your device, while still workable as a phone, whinges so bitterly about not being able to contact the Google mothership, it's getting in the way.

After a recent G+ app update where it wanted access to my phones contacts list (presumably to upload it to my gmail account), I decided to abandon most of the social networks I'm in and started to delete them - starting with Google+. Bad move. It was the account that my phone was tied to.

The only solution I have now is to create a new google account (and be forced to create a gmail account in the process), factory reset my phone and enter my new google details.

So it looks like whatever you use, you're going to be tied to the mothership in some way or another. I have no doubt that when MS gets their act together you'll be equally tied to the MS cloud in some way or another.

It'll basically be a question of "who do you trust most?"

And sadly there isn't a UK company in that lot. At best RIM is Canadian (if you go down the Brambleberry route), but they're in the mire right now by the looks of things. All your data, contacts, etc., is going to be synced to the great cloud in the sky whether you want it or not.

I'm currently prevented from using the google marketplace (and thus downloading or updating apps) because I don't have a gmail account and no way of re-creating one and telling the phone I have a new one either. (I can add a 2nd google account to the phone, but it's locked to the very first one you use with no way to change without a factory reset)

I'm quite tempted to get the watchmakers screwdrivers out and resurrect my N900.. But after that, then what.... In a years time there will be no truly independent phone. I'm seriously tempted to abandon the whole "smartphone" concept entirely and go back to a "netbook" and a dongle for mobile Internet access.

Gordon (Luddite) Henderson