Re: [LUG] OT Laptop hard disk

> Back to the drawing board.

Sorry late to this thread. Have you tested the new drive in another box?
i.e. make sure it isn't just a dead drive.

As far as I can find the ThinkPad T42 came with either ATA-7 or SATA
connectors, so I'd have expected it to support larger disk drives,
although IBM never shipped with more than 80GB in the ATA models.

I'm not aware of any limits on the ATA spec that happen to stop at 80GB,
the usual older BIOS limit is 28 bits which is 128GiB or 137.4GB. But
that predates the T42 by a long time.

Windows NT and Windows 2000 assumed BIOSes has a 28 bit limit and you
had to poke at the registry to say "nah using 48 bits is find on this
hardware". Ancient stuff.

Linux (the kernel) has as far as I know happily ignored the BIOS for
most purposes (and generally where ever possible), so the 28 bit limit
mostly concerned getting the machines to boot (i.e. where to put the
boot partition on disk). At the beginning and less than 128GB in size
being good ideas then, and probably still sensible if only to minimize
the fsck time on the partition when something bad happens.