Re: [LUG] Virtual server hosting recommendations

On 31/10/2011 10:29, Anthony Williams wrote:
On 30/10/11 18:32, Phil Brooke wrote:
Can anyone recommend (or warn of) any virtual server hosting companies?
(With a mild preference for UK based services.)

I'm using linode.com at the moment, and I'm very happy. They have datacentres in various places, including London.

I tried out vps247.com for a short while, as they are UK based and cheap, but they were disasterous. Frequent outages, no network access to reboot machines and diagnose problems, and very poor support.

I'm also inclined to buy a domain name from a different registrar. While
it's tempting to get it all done through one vendor, I'm expecting that
I'll have to move services from time to time and some separation of
roles seems appropriate there.

I use 1and1.co.uk for my domain registration needs. They provide DNS services for your domains, but so do linode.com, so you don't need a registrar that does DNS if you use linode.

Anthony
<2p>

I've just started using http://secure.uptimevps.co/aff.php?aff=017 this lot.. plenty of cute features, many data centres, decent power from the VMs etc..

</2p>