Re: [LUG] Message about a virus

Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I am always careful anyway, but I have always thought that such viruses will
not run in Linux. Is that true? I do not have any Windows computers at all
so I feel safe, but perhaps I shouldn't.

In general, you are (a lot) safer using Linux and with a piece of
Windows malware you can be all but certain it won't run under Linux.
That's mostly because Linux usage is so much smaller than that of
Windows; now that Macs have become popular, Mac malware is on the rise
too.

(Fake Facebook invitation/notification spam is quite prevalent though.
Most recent examples I have seen, however, simply took you to a fake
pharmacy website though. Fake Flash plugins are also common; these do
usually attempt to install malware on your machine.)

Martijn.

Thanks, I am pleased to report that I have never joined either Facebook or Twitter, and do not intent to.

Neil