Re: [LUG] Message about a virus

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am always careful anyway, but I have always thought that such viruses will
> not run in Linux. Is that true? I do not have any Windows computers at all
> so I feel safe, but perhaps I shouldn't.

In general, you are (a lot) safer using Linux and with a piece of
Windows malware you can be all but certain it won't run under Linux.
That's mostly because Linux usage is so much smaller than that of
Windows; now that Macs have become popular, Mac malware is on the rise
too.

However, it is good to know more and more malware does not depend on
the operating system you're running. Malicious Facebook or Twitter
applications for instance: they usually trick you into clicking a link
that effectively enables the app and then they will start spamming
your contacts and/or send your personal details to the attackers.
Also, phishing scams, where you are presented with a copy of a
legitimate website and are tricked into entering your username and
password, do not require you to run a particular operating system.
It's good to be aware of that.

This particular email is a hoax though. A new variant of one that has
been going around for many years. The vast majority of current malware
is written with a financial motivation behind it. From a financial
point of view, there's little point in destroying a hard disk.

(Fake Facebook invitation/notification spam is quite prevalent though.
Most recent examples I have seen, however, simply took you to a fake
pharmacy website though. Fake Flash plugins are also common; these do
usually attempt to install malware on your machine.)

Martijn.