Re: [LUG] OT Laptop hard disk

 On 27/10/2011 13:03, George Parker wrote:
On 27/10/11 12:17, Julian Hall wrote:
 On 27/10/2011 11:55, tom wrote:
On 27/10/11 11:37, Julian Hall wrote:
 On 27/10/2011 08:27, George Parker wrote:
IBM Thinkpad T42
http://www.fixya.com/support/t1665591-thinkpad_t42_hard_disk_problem

Maximum 80Gb according to this forum, sorry.

Julian

It may be possible to partition the drive up (via a cd rom or other machine) and then it may work?
Tom te tom te tom

I've had this with an old PC before.. the BIOS in that case would only recognise up to 32Gb (yes it was VERY old) so unless there is a BIOS upgrade that will recognise greater than 80Gb I suspect it's just going to sit there refusing to see the larger drive. As far as I know it's the overall physical drive capacity the BIOS looks at not the partition table, may be worth a try though.

Julian

Thank you chaps. There is a BIOS update but this is a microsoft EXE file, of course. Has anyone tried updating a bios using a virtual OS, in my case winXP in VirtualBox?

George

Exactly this question. Opinion seems divided, but I think the safe route would be to get a boot disk image from http://www.allbootdisks.com/ and have a go with that.

Kind regards,

Julian