[LUG] OT Laptop hard disk

I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 which has a 40 Gb hard disk, a bit likkle for todays needs, so I bought it a nice 160 Gb drive, a Samsung HM160HC. Unfortunately I can't get the T42 BIOS to recognise the drive at all. Not a flicker.

It won't do it automatically and going into the BIOS gives no option to enter the drive manually. I assume this is because for some reason it can't see the drive at all.The manual, of course only refers to the original 40 Gb drive. The drive is configured as master. Anyone any idea?

George