Re: [LUG] Indian "MCSE" phone phishers again

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Tony Sumner wrote:
> I had one of these calls. She said her name was 'Nancy' and told
> me I had a Trojan. I said 'I don't use Windows' and told
> her that proved she was a b. liar. She got quite upset and said
> no I was the liar for saying I don't run Windows and hey I realised
> that I have a laptop that does have windows on it and it seems
> likely that she did have access to MS information. She also knew
> my address. A web site I looked at said that they tend to target
> older people (like me) so they may have a source of information
> that includes age and address.

I (33) have had several of these calls, so I don't think they
specifically target older people. I am also certain they do not
co-operate with Microsoft and that the latter, if they possess this
kind of information (which I doubt they do), have not provided them
with it. I think they use the electoral roll or something to get hold
of the name and phone number. As for insisting you don't have Windows
- there are probably very few households that don't, so it is a safe
bet.

I have told them several times this was a scam and that they knew it
and rather than closing the connection, they kept on insisting it
wasn't.

Martijn.