Re: [LUG] Problems with installing packages

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:17:32AM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 12/10/11 22:58, paul sutton wrote:
> >
> > I tried to install a driver for a brother printer and now get told that
> > packages are in an inconsistent state
>
> Was this from Brother rather than an official repository by any chance?
>
> > Package: mfcj615wlpr
> > Maintainer: Brother Industries, Ltd.
>
> > I just wondered how i fix this,  I can't un-install as it needs to be
> > reinstalled to do that, however I can't reinstall due to the state its
> > in (buggy package partly)
> >
> > Any ideas on fixing this so i can start over with trying to install
> > drivers for a brother mfcj615w properly and hopefully get it working.
>
> Probably you do want to install it, even if you have to use "-force-all".
>
> What is the output of trying to install the deb?
>
> I had some fun before (a long time ago) which might inspire you.
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/372
>
> I vaguely recall the Brother drivers worked by setting up some sort of
> old fashioned print driver, and then calling that from the CUPS driver,
> so you basically have to mock-up enough of lpr to make the install
> happy. Possibly there is some lpr package around that does all this
> which ought to be a dependency of the Brother lpr packages but no one on
> d-a.org answered my query on this. I can probably dig out details at
> work but I think that we now just use stock Debian packages for that
> printer.

I use a Brother printer-scanner and yes the installation had to be in
phases and I seem to recall reading somewhere that the installation had to
be in order

- Install the LPR driver for your linux version
- Install the CUPS driver
- Install the scanner driver

All as root from the deb packages. I did not have to "-force-all"

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html

Have a look at the "pre-required" procedures

Subject to what the others say, I would suggest you go through the
procedure again installing the packages in order.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.