Re: [LUG] Problems with installing packages

On 12/10/11 22:58, paul sutton wrote:

> I tried to install a driver for a brother printer and now get told that
> packages are in an inconsistent state

Was this from Brother rather than an official repository by any chance?

> Package: mfcj615wlpr
> Maintainer: Brother Industries, Ltd.

> I just wondered how i fix this,  I can't un-install as it needs to be
> reinstalled to do that, however I can't reinstall due to the state its
> in (buggy package partly)
>
> Any ideas on fixing this so i can start over with trying to install
> drivers for a brother mfcj615w properly and hopefully get it working.

Probably you do want to install it, even if you have to use "-force-all".

What is the output of trying to install the deb?

I had some fun before (a long time ago) which might inspire you.

http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/372

I vaguely recall the Brother drivers worked by setting up some sort of
old fashioned print driver, and then calling that from the CUPS driver,
so you basically have to mock-up enough of lpr to make the install
happy. Possibly there is some lpr package around that does all this
which ought to be a dependency of the Brother lpr packages but no one on
d-a.org answered my query on this. I can probably dig out details at
work but I think that we now just use stock Debian packages for that
printer.