Re: [LUG] Intranetty type of thing?

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, tom wrote:

On 11/10/11 16:24, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions for a small company "Intranet" type server? I was going to suggest running a Wiki, but now wondering about something else - the trouble is, what's good, *easy* to setup and use and what's bad.. The last time I did anything like that, it was phpNuke and that seems somewhat dated now...

All I really need is an easy way for others to edit/update "stuff" relevant to the internal workings of the company... Things like a blog per user might be nice, but not essential..

Suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Gordon

I have wondered if Diaspora might be useful for that sort of thing - I've heard its close to Google+ and can see something like that being useful in for work.

Not sure I (or they) want a social networky type of thing - so that and Elgg might not be that appropriate.

Adrians suggstion of simple text file is what we have now - however that's not that easily editable by non clued-up users (e.g. HR!) and having some sort of edit tracking might be handy.

Wordpress - it's an idea for a few static pages, but once you get busy, then its gets harder to manage and if I'm going to write a custom theme for it, I might as well write something else...

But the list gets ever longer - phpNuke and it's spin-offs, Plone, Zope, Drupal, Joomla - Twiki stands out as it's used by a lot of big players, although I was originally thinking of a wiki, something like mediawiki...

However it's purely an internal thing, never exposed to the elements, so it doesn't have to be that pretty - just so easy to use that staff don't have an excuse to not use it ...

I'll keep looking, thanks!

Gordon