Re: [LUG] TeX/LaTeX

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 16:41 +0100, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Sorry I missed the meeting today. Hope you had a good one.
>
> Anyone know anything about TeX/LaTeX? How easy is it to learn, how
> useful is it, who uses it, etc.
>
> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

I use LaTeX quite a lot - originally for writing technical papers and
reports, but now for financial reports.

A good introduction to its capabilities is "The not so short
introduction to LaTeX 2e" which is at
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/ amongst other
places.

Using a dedicated editor also helps (TeXmaker on Gnome, Kile on Kde).
There is also LyX which is a "What You See is What You Mean" editor -
almost wysiwyg.

I have also used it command line with Vi and there is an emacs mode.

TeXlive (despite the name LaTeX not straight TeX) is available in most
Linux repositories, afaik.

Phil