Re: [LUG] Intel i5. Debian 32 or 64 bit?

On 06/10/11 08:44, Dan Dart wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear if anyone ever uses 8g and what for?

Virtual machines, rendering, folding, ...

I do folding @home - never uses anything 'noticeable' and rendering that uses much more than 10 or 20* 'screen size' needs ditching - unless your making video. Virtual machines donât really count - testing an OS in a VM is just asking for trouble when you need to install it at base and running server farms in VM is just plain cheap and lazy and probably highly insecure. I was really just interested what 'home' users would use that amount for as it seems common on machines for 'home' use yet I cant imagine even w7 being that crap. Other than (bad*) chip design, chess and global weather forecasting ram that can contain the equivalent data for 8 million bibles seems a bit extreme. Having said that I can make my mind up whether to ask for a 32g ssd or a set of cheese presses for xmas just so I can run some massive spice simulations to make music.
Tom te tom te tom