Re: [LUG] Printing again ..

On 29/09/11 16:03, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So.. We were going OK with wifey ignoring her HP printer/scanner device and using the laserprinter - until the laser ran out of cyan - and it refuses to even print monochrome documents, so a new cart ordered (for a mere £110 )-:

Meanwhile she needed to print - so I did more looking. Decided to uninstall the hplip installed by Debian and get the one of HP directly - which involces compiling (my wife actually followed the steps, but because stuck when it asked her to install gcc...)

Just to ask, what is the problem with hplip? I use an HP photosmart and have never had to do anything more complicated than use the distro, kubuntu/ubuntu/suse, set up your printer thingy to get it working (this one is via a network, but also works from usb). After entering the printers address I'm always directed to choose the driver from a list. The problem maybe the distro not detecting the printer . There is a lot of variation on how much detail you need to supply bewteen distros for this to happen. Some need address and protocol, some just scan and find everything connected to the network and then figure out which driver to use when a selection is made.

Simon

Simon