Re: [LUG] Puzzle

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> My wife, running Mint 9 Xfce, forwarded an email to me with some funny
> cartoons on it. She sees the cartoons when she opens the email.
>
> On my desktop, running Mint 10 KDE, instead of the cartoons I get a
> collection of odd links. Here is an example.
>
> cid:595F8F00-1FF3-4AFD-8D34-A0D18DC74566@local
>
> For some reason I cannot get those links to bring up the original cartoons.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Probably not a solution, but some background information:

Emails that contain images can either use images hosted on the
Internet, or use images embedded in emails. The former is generally
not recommended -- they can, for instance, be used by senders to check
whether you have read the email -- and many MUAs (email programs)
don't show such images by default. Thankfully, this is an example of
the latter case.

Email uses MIME to be built up from several parts: there is the plain
text of the email, an HTML version of it and one or more images. Each
such part has a unique 'content-id' which is what is used to include
the images in the email, it is the bit after cid:

These content-ids don't make sense outside the context of the email so
if your email program can't display them, there's not much you can do.
(I take it you haven't set something to never display images?)

I wouldn't know why the email is broken, which seems likely to be the
case. One thing you could check is forward the email to your wife
again. If she can't see the images in this forwarded email, it means
that the email itself is broken; if she can, it means your email
program just can't display the images. (In which case the email may
still be broken and her email program just knows how to deal with the
broken email, while yours doesn't.)

The @local bit shouldn't be a problem - there's a convention that
content-ids have a part after @ which refers to the computer the email
was originally created on. And this machine presumably was called
'local'.

HTH.

Martijn.