Re: [LUG] Power supply behaviour (and sources)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, Adrian Midgley wrote:

On 28 September 2011 14:40, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just needs resolution, not GPUness. GIMP runs just fine on my workstation.
It's host PC CPU cycles that are used for most stuff - that I'm aware of,
anyway - perhaps there are some really fancy plugins that will use a GPU,
but I've no issues waiting a second or 2 for an unsharp operation to happen
on a 5MP image.

Much more RAM is going to help, I expect, but my images are more like 14MBytes!
EOS 7D.

I suspect you mean 14 Mega Pixels there...

That ought to generate an image in the order of 40 Mega Bytes of uncompressed data. (ie 24bpp TIFF type data rather than raw from the camera which could possibly be less)

I'm getting something with an 15 which I expect to be quicker than my
old pair of Xeons.

a 15 what? (inch monitor ;-)

15MP camera ought to generate about 42MB of uncompressed image.

Some years back, I did a lot of scanning of negatives and slides - the raw TIFF images were in the order of 35MB each - scanned at something approximating 12MP. My PC back then was an Athlon XP2000 ish - with 2GB of RAM it handled them fine, but yes, some sharpening, etc. did take more time in GIMP.

MP to MB really depends on how the image is stored - if in a 24bpp format, (e.g. TIFF, uncompressed PNG) then you can get a good approximation by simply multiplying by 8, and even in a compressed format, thats about how much RAM it'll need to uncompress it to be worked on.

And multi processors are only good if you have the software to drive them - I don't know if GIMP can, but given it's going to be memory intensive when doing any bulk image manipulation I suspect the gains might not be that much )-:

(Hm. A quick google suggests is might use more cores - but only if you tell it - check preferences or edit your gimprc file - (num-processors X)

And don't discount the time take to get that data to/from disk - although modern SSDs can now read at over 200MB/sec which is nice, but expensive for bulk storage.

Gordon