Re: [LUG] Power supply behaviour (and sources)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, Adrian Midgley wrote:

On 28 September 2011 13:10, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So basically your PC is not working?

Yep.  Decided it is old.  Replacing now.

However you might want something that's not got on-board graphics if you're
into gaming.

I am in a maze of tiny games, all alike.  Beware of Grues.
I don't do that stuff much, although some of the current graphical
shooter and team stuff is remarkable.

:)

I play doom and just found oolite, which runs well.

For general office type stuff, I've found on-board graphics
chips to be more than adequate. (for a £35 motherboard) That one above has
an intel i950 chip on it and runs the monitor at 1920x1440 without any
issues.

That would be fine, but I do like having 2 screens, and with more
speed and RAM maybe more.
I'll stick my (not very) old graphics cards into something.

Make sure a new mobo has the right combination of pci/e slots then. (if building from scratch)

I do quite a lot of gimping.

Just needs resolution, not GPUness. GIMP runs just fine on my workstation. It's host PC CPU cycles that are used for most stuff - that I'm aware of, anyway - perhaps there are some really fancy plugins that will use a GPU, but I've no issues waiting a second or 2 for an unsharp operation to happen on a 5MP image.

Gordon