Re: [LUG] Tracking IP addresses

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Daniel Robinson wrote:

Hello group.

I am wanting to install VNC server software onto client computers to allow
me to undertake remote computer repairs.
I am considering using dyndns or similar to track computer ip addresses but
thought i'd pop the question to you guys to see what my options are to track
IP addresses on non static lines.

Another way might be to insist that if they want support that they upgrade their Internet connection and router - then you can get them onto a decent business quality system with a good router and static IP address - and get a router that supports VPN directly.

Or even just the router - some support dynamic DNS services directly anyway and VPN.

It might arguagly be more secure, but I guess to allow VNC you need port-forwarding in their router anyway - along with some firewalling to just allow you to get in from your (presumably) static IP address...

I have insisted on this for my own clients - decent ISP, static IP address and decent router. I've decided that the ones that won't pay for this aren't worth bothering about now.

The other way (and I'm presuming this is Windows PCs here?) is to ask them to go to a website and login which triggers something that can then allow you remote access - I know the technology exists (From the "Hello, I'm Microsoft, your PC has malware on it" phone scam), but I've forgotten the name of it...

If guess it depends on how 'broken' their PC is though...

Gordon