Re: [LUG] Tracking IP addresses

Since many machines will be behind NAT routers the IP address may not be
enough to connect to the VNC server.

There are many providers of services that allow a remote desktop help
request. i.e. The user with a problem initiates a support request at least
for Windows many by just visiting a URL you send them (beloved of the
phone scammers). I'd recommend that approach.

Microsoft Windows also has one built in but you do have to use Windows to
access it I believe. You probably need a way of accessing that for the
users who get it wrong and send you one of those help requests.

As regards tracking DYNDNS a good choice, but I'd stick some software on
that does a fetch from a server under my control as well. Even if it is
only "curl  http://mywebserver.example.com/uniqueidentifier"; and/or set
the default home page in their web browsers. Anything not just to rely on
a third party when you don't have to.

 Simon