Re: [LUG] free programming in c for linux book

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011, paul sutton wrote:

On 04/09/11 16:38, Joe Buckle wrote:
On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 16:34 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 16:31:35 +0100
Roland Tarver wrote:

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
and others...
http://bookboon.com/uk/textbooks
Just need to get them to html the things...
Tom te tom te tom
Nice one. Thanks.

Roly :-)
Definitely!  Gonna point some of my colleagues in the direction of
these, too.

Cheers. :)
Grant.

I'm already using it :D - 10 minutes after Tom sent that. How sad I must
be...

I suppose a book that is designed for c under linux the code may
actually work, i gave up with the last c book i had for the simple
reason the code didn't work and that was with the 2nd source code list
in the book, so hardly anything complex just define 2 variables and add
em together display result.

I had a quick look - I got the feeling it might not be the best introduction to C - I think it presumes a bit more - like trying to explain what *argv[] means in the very first paragraph...

Until get you into system level stuff, then most C ought to work on most systems - right now, I'm writing some C for an 8-bit microcontroller and there's not much different at the superficial level...

For Pauls case:

  /*
   * add.c:
   *      Add 2 numbers and print the result
   */

  #include <stdio.h>

  main ()
  {
    int a = 5 ;
    int b = 7 ;

    printf ("Sum is: %d\n", a + b) ;
  }

  gordon @ yakko: cc add.c
  gordon @ yakko: ./a.out
  Sum is: 12

Hard to make that not work from a book.

However I do think there's a "knack" to progrmaming and not everyone has it. When I was first introduced to computers, I more or less got on with it and couldn't get enough of them - but a lot of my friends just didn't get it - but then they could spell and do crosswords while I haven't a clue..

Gordon