Re: [LUG] Getting to grips with CUPS ..

Personally I always make sure the printer is on *before* trying to print to it.. whatever method I'm using

That's not at all helpful.

When I worked for a larger company the printer was remote I.E. Germany and the system creating the print job was in Oregon, are you suggesting that the multi million dollar system should not print an invoice and never print to it again until an operator comes along and fixes something because of a network failure or a power outage on the other side of the world.

If that is the case then CUPS truely is rubbish, I have never got on with it and just install LPD, in fact the afore mentioned company used LPD world wide becuase we had problems with windows printing on the WAN.

A printer is hardware and maybe off for many reasons, I don't see why CUPS does not queue the the job until it becomes availiable and then auto start and print.