Re: [LUG] Serval Mesh and android

On 01/09/11 22:24, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Dava wrote:

The android app for serval mesh has now been released, as far as i know it requires root. Anyone given it a go yet? http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/08/31/serval-mesh-a-network-free-communication-app-finally-makes-it-to-the-android-market/

Hm. That's been about for a while now... But I really think it's all a bit "iffy". To work the mesh, you need other mesh users - within about 100m of where you are - line of sight - it's just Wi-Fi afterall... No-one close, no connection. (No surprise). Even if someone is close, then they need to have a phone with the software.

I feel that they're inventing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You want communucations in a disaster zone? You pick up a pair of PMR radios and off you go - with a range of a Km or so.

Or you try to persuade skippy to go to the rangers office and tell them you're stuck down the well...

Gordon

Out here in the sticks it would be of little use but I can think of lots of uses in more crowded areas - other than their 'original' network replacement in a disaster. Even if its just used for POS xml transfer it would save billions of manhours!
Tom te tom te tom