Re: [LUG] OT : Recommendations for data recovery companies please

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Roland Tarver wrote:

Hi Folks,

A friend has a failed hard disk that he needs the data off. He has
already spent £300 with a data recovery company (not sure which), who
are now saying that it is not possible to get his data back. I guess
they might be correct, but originally they said it was just the
read/write mechanisms (not the disks) that had failed.

I suggested that another company might have more joy? ..... Any
suggestions? or should we believe the current company and give up
trying?

No personal experience, but these people:

  http://www.krollontrack.co.uk/

were recomended on another list I'm on a while back..

I suspect the cost will be proportinal to the effort though - if the platters are OK, then transplanting them into another shell might work, but at what time, cost and effort?

But spending £300 already...

... when a fraction of that could have been spent on a good backup system...

Gordon