Re: [LUG] Google Buys Motorola for $12 billion

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 16/08/11 07:48, Rob Beard wrote:

So Google is now officially a hardware manufacturer then.

It's only the mobile division - the other divisions are staying put - e.g. the R&D plant in Ashburton... (AIUI)

It is patents all the way.

Bingo!

Google don't want to be in the Mobile Phone manufacturing, they won't do
it competitively and it'll lead to channel conflict.

On the other hand the patent lawyers at Apple will be thinking "oops,
why didn't we think of that."

As soon as it is clear this will go through I expect Apple will start
discussing dropping patent claims against other Android manufacturers.

If Google have any sense they'll probably strip the patents and anything
useful for Android, and sell the rest, possibly after some restructuring.

Not that what's left will be worth anything...

I did some work for Moto some years back just before the place in Ashburton was bought up by Moto and I'm off to see some ex Moto folk this afternoon - be intersting to get their view on it all!

Gordon