Re: [LUG] OSs

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Neil Stone wrote:

On 11/08/11 09:50, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, CHRISTOPHER BERRY wrote:

Dear All,Thanks for the help re treasurer's package  - I have GnuCash
installed & Ubuntu 10.10.11.04 seems to be out for 64 reasons!Re: OSs
- I had hoped to use the new Mint 11 OS on the latest Linux Format
mag but it too was for 64-bit only. There does seem a swing away from
the older machines - a shame - for my poor old PB EasyNote laptop of
2005 vintage is racing along like a new thing under Ubuntu, not at
all 'the snail' it was under Windows XP!Have a good day,Grandad Bee.

Well there's always (and probably always will be) Debian for a
plethora of architectures, 32 and 64 bit.

My older Acer Aspire 5050 laptop is running Debian Lenny, as are our 2
original Acer Aspire One's. My 1.6GHz Desktop runs Debian Squeeze and
is satisfactory for all I do. It even seems to be able to run bbc
iplayer full screen too.... Bleeding edge, or nice stable and
reliable... I know what I like!

Gordon

Sometimes bleeding edge == bleeding frustrating

Well - indeed...

And I've just had a look at Linux Mint - noticed it's got a Debian base as well as an Ubuntu base - and the Debian is based on Debian Testing... I'm somewhat surprised that they are doing this, and expecting people to actually use it (and surprised that people are using it for day to day businessy critical things - like running an accountancy package!)

If you want stability and support for day to day (and business) stuff, then get Debian stable! And you can get a minimal CD (180MB) which installs the rest off the net.

http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Really - what are you going to gain by going to some of the more bleeding edge distributions? (unless you're a total control geek like me and want a different kernel, but even I stuck to Debian stable for everything else!)

Stable is stable, and sometimes it's good enough for a long, long time..

  % cat /etc/debian_version
  3.0

Gordon