Re: [LUG] THE(?) sys-admin job?!

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 02/08/11 19:34, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Er... The job must be worked on-site at the FSF's downtown Boston offices

A a guess, that's Boston, MA, not Boston, UK...

It is.

I've worked in Boston MA in the past. Really don't fancy going back!

Any thing in particular?

I've done work for a couple of clients around Boston MA (mainly Waltham
and Concord), but never stayed longer than a fortnight at a time.

I spent 2.5 years in the US in the early 90's. Oddly enough we were based in Waltham and Concord too! A real hot-bed of techie "stuff". I spent a lot of my time over in CA though. Lawrence Livermore Labs, but HQ was Boston-side. I worked at the time for a supercomputer company. (One of several in the area, but this was a British company with a US office - Meiko Scientific)

Other than the subway from the Airport (reminds me of the railway line
from Gatwick to Victoria - let us put our least respectable bits on show
first to any visitors) it seemed a nice place.

The whole "New England" thing is OK. Just don't go on a bus tour of Boston and admit you're British. The Old Colonial Inn in Concord itself was OK though.

Apart from that - too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. One day I walked from my appartment to my car and my beard & hair had frozen in the time it took. They were telling me it was -14 on the radio. (-14F)

And I saw whales on a whale watch, and they had a museum full of
holograms, a China town, bookshops, bagel shops and several Universities
full of really clever people. What's not to like?

Too much work. It was a bit heavy at times. Too many deadlines, not much time off, etc. However I did get to go diving on occasion. Actually for a bit of sanity, I often used to go for a dive on the way into work in a local pond when it wasn't frozen over, then get my tank filled at lunch time for the next time. It was about the only thing that kept me sane. However it was cold. I did some river dives in 2C water, and some sea dives in the same. We had to rock the boat to break it free of ice one morning in Gloucester harbour (1.5 hours north of Boston) The whales were cool though, but I missed the dive where my buddy was just minding his own business and a humpback came up next to him and thumped the sandy sea bed and hoovered up the sand ells that had subsequently jumped out...

I've been back to the US subsequently, working - the ISP I worked for after that job has offices in San Jose and I visited a few times, however I think I rather like Devon now!

Gordon