Re: [LUG] Barcode scanners

Grant Sewell wrote:

I wonder if you could tie a few tools together.

Read barcode data (which is normally an EAN-13 code - just a bunch of
numbers), discover what CD this corresponds to, pump this into some form
of CDDB/FreeDB query and store the returned track data into a database.

There is a website that seems to allow you to lookup EAN codes - and
helpfully, it would seem that all they do is plonk the EAN into the
URL, such as:
   http://www.upcdatabase.com/item/7321902174921

There may be some tools that can utilise this website, or if not a
little bit of HTML parsing should be able to pull out the returned info.

Grant.

Thanks for all the help so far. I am now trying out a program called Readerware. This is in fact three programs, one each for storing information about books, videos or CD's. I am testing the CD version and so far it looks good. If I had one I could use a scanner for the bar codes but so far I have typed them in.

I can do this either one at a time or I can create a list in a text file. Also it is possible to enter items manually. I will pass on more comments when I have some more experience of the program.

Regards

Neil