Subject:        [ubuntu-uk] HLUG Open Source Schools Project
Date:   Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:06:57 +0100
From:   Sarah Chard <sarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     UK Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi
I wanted to let you know what is happening here in Herefordshire.
As a part of ISFD we are running an Open Source Schools Project -
partially inspired by discussions here on education and open source.

Herefordshire LUG contacted schools across the county and we now have
around 7 schools primary, junior and secondary who are interested in
taking part.

We are creating a lubuntu based distro called tuxedu
http://www.tuxedu.org.uk/ for use in primary schools - this is designed
to run live but is locked down so it is a completely safe and secure
environment. We also intend to produce a secondary version that does
allow internet access.
Because it is based on lubuntu it is lightweight and will run on older
less high spec machines.

Following our HLUG meeting on weds we now have support from the ICT
consultants at the council who organise ICT across the county's schools
- they are introducing us to the schools network techs - so that we can
explain our project and ensure that they will allow us access to run
tuxedu on the schools networks.

We intend to do workshops with students at the schools and also run a
session with teachers and possibly interested parents at each school -
this will all take place in the autumn term.
If it is successful we may be able to expand the project to other
schools in the county
It is a very exciting project and our hope is that it can be used as a
base for similar projects in other areas.

Sarah