[LUG] Ubuntu: Bringing down Samba (CIFS) shares on shutdown

A while ago there was discussion here regarding the slowness of shutting down Ubuntu when Samba shares were created via fstab

At the time I mentioned there was an open bug regarding this and that there were a variety of work-arounds for older flavours of Ubuntu but Natty didn't have one.

Below is a Natty solution which seems to work on my systems that have the problem - I personally use NFS shares to avoid this:

"found a better fix via /etc/init/dbus.conf

add the pre-stop script:

pre-stop script
    trap "TERM signal" TERM
     /bin/umount -a -t  cifs -f -l
    trap - TERM
end script

It works for me and few tested notebooks and desktop PC."