Re: [LUG] 10 Gnu/Linux books for beginners

On 26/07/11 11:23, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Tom,

Yes I share your dismay in finding appropriate
books in the local library, in my case Newton Abbot.

Local bookshops (Smiths&  Waterstones) are likewise pretty
dismal, we had to travel to Exeter, where the branch of
Waterstones is very much better. The books I purchased
there are:-

Ubuntu for non-geeks (Rickford Grant&  Phil
Bull), covers 10.04

Beginning Ubuntu Linux (Kier Thomas&
Andy Channelle) covers 9.04

Let's see what the rest of the
LUG come up with.

Regards etc,
Ray.

I'm not sure if recommending books that cover unsupported distros is a good idea. I guess the principals stay the same, but the distros aren't supported anymore.

Would the library maybe consider some of the Linux Format specials? I mean the ones that are about a tenner and are thicker magazine/book type things with a distro included?

Rob