Re: [LUG] 10 Gnu/Linux books for beginners

I was rather disappointed to discover that several Linux books I'd donated to the library simply disappeared - they never showed up in the catalogue search. I'd argue that the only linux paperwork you need is how to get online. All the rest is out there.
Tom te tom te tom

that is not the point one of the arguments against floss is lack of documentation (we know that is total rubbish but look at it from a non users point of view or someone fed the usual FUD ) the fact the you cannot get up to date book from a local library adds weight to this from some peoples perspective esp when they are happy to carry books on windows and mac OS.

sometimes people want to flick through a book pages to get a feel for it before buying

sure we know where to get books from but a new user may expect to be able to pick up something as easily as they can with windows books

i know there is the ubuntu manial which is both downloadable and available to purchase online.

I guess we need to work on this on a local level and agree on a title that would be useful and al of us in say torbay ask for that one title, then some one in Exeter ask for a different title, if enough people ask it may change.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day