Re: [LUG] 10 Gnu/Linux books for beginners

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26/07/11 11:09, Tom Brough wrote:
>>
>> Looking through my local library(s) in Paignton and Torquay, I find it
>> very frustrating that there are so few books on Gnu/Linux available. When
>> you can find one (or possibly two) they are either way out of date or aimed
>> at Sys Admins / "higher end" users or specific services ("Wordpress",
>> "Samba" etc). Looking at my own library of books I can't really find any
>> books that fall into the starter / beginner category either, and being as I
>> learn Unix over 20 years ago, and then migrated to Linux, my library is
>> totally inappropriate for beginners.
>>
>> So today I'm challenging the group to recommend 10 GNU/Linux books that
>> are current and in publication that are targeted at beginners and their
>> needs.
>>
>> Looking forward to your suggestions.
>>

>> Tom.
>>
> I was rather disappointed to discover that several Linux books I'd donated
> to the library simply disappeared - they never showed up in the catalogue
> search.
> I'd argue that the only linux paperwork you need is how to get online. All
> the rest is out there.
> Tom te tom te tom

http://ubuntu-manual.org/

Not read it. I think it IS aimed at beginners. Perhaps I should....
(read it ;-))

Also....this is a good beginners book..... (tried and tested on family
and girlfriend!).....

http://url.drogon.net/07

Can also highly recommend the following for CLI beginners... (although
that may not be what you wanted :-))

http://url.drogon.net/08

Best wishes
roly :-)