Re: [LUG] VNC and Compiz

On 21/07/11 19:14, Kevin Lucas wrote:
Has any one had any experience of VNC and Gnome compiz?

I have Fedora Gnome and 2 Mint Gnomes with VNC and ssh Set up but I think when you have Compiz turned on, VNC gets you an initial Image of the screen but no mouse pointer update. I found this after clicking and seeing no response only to find it performed all the actions on the remote machine.

Turning off compiz all is ok.

I get confused with Remote Desktop and Vnc

Is it possible to connect to a machine as user` B`...... when say user `A ` is logged on locally and get an X connection via VNC but turn off compiz for just user B then turn it on again after finishing? If you turn off compiz during a session it's a disaster! All the windows pile up and become non responsive.

I know the settings for the Xserver and vnc in the ~/.vnc folder and for /etc/sysconfig/vncservers but can you put in a script somewhere something like --nocompiz?
Kevin

In Ubuntu VNC & Compiz haven't worked together since Compiz was introduced. There are a couple of (very old) open bugs on this which I monitor but there never seems to be a proper fix.

The only reliable solution seems to be to switch off XDamage. I think you can do that in gconf-editor. The problem with this fix is that it significantly increases the bandwidth requirements so is only really workable on a LAN.

I gave up on VNC some time ago because of this issue. I use NX instead.

Martin