Re: [LUG] VNC and Compiz

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 19:14 +0100, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> Has any one had any experience of VNC and Gnome compiz?
>
> I have Fedora Gnome and 2 Mint Gnomes with VNC and ssh Set up but I
> think when you have Compiz turned on,  VNC gets you an initial Image
> of the screen but no mouse pointer update.  I found this after
> clicking and seeing no response only to find it performed all the
> actions on the remote machine.
>
> Turning off compiz all is ok.
>
> I get confused with Remote Desktop and Vnc
>
> Is it possible to connect to a machine as user` B`...... when say user
> `A ` is logged on locally and get an X connection via VNC but turn off
> compiz for just user B then turn it on again after finishing?  If  you
> turn off compiz during a session it's a disaster!  All the windows
> pile up and become non responsive.
>

> I know the settings for the Xserver  and vnc in the ~/.vnc folder and
> for /etc/sysconfig/vncservers but can you put in a script somewhere
> something like --nocompiz?

As far as I know this has been an issue for a long time (for me anyway).
The same sort of thing has happened to me when using VNC to help people
running Windows Vista+ when Aero or whatever its called hasn't stopped
running.

The only way I've managed to get around it is to somehow fire up the
terminal and kill compiz for metacity (for Gnome 2.2). I'm interested in
a better way than typing blind though!

Gibbs