Re: [LUG] Install II

On 21/07/11 13:38, Jack Oley wrote:

Martijn,
  I put that read statement at the end of the eldy.sh script; no joy.  Ran as Application in Terminal, but still just the flash and then nothing.  Surely (!) there must be an easier way of getting a shortcut to a programme on a desktop..?   I'm beginning to pine for the pristine beauty of superhappyuserfriendly Windows!  {:-(

Jack

Edit the script and put a "read" statement at the end. This will pause the script so hopefully will let you see what's happening before the script closes the terminal windows.

eg:

#!/bin/bash
# init
function pause(){
   read -p "$*"
}

# ...
# call it
pause 'Press any key to continue....'
# rest of the script
# ...
Jack

Assuming the read statement in your script is syntactically correct, then it would seem that it isn't getting run. It would explain why the terminal windows flashes so quickly - it's displaying an error, then disappearing again.

Send me your launcher file and the script off-list and I'll have a look for you...

Martin