Re: [LUG] Meeting at Hosworthy - 16th July 2011

> Thanks for those ideas Paul. I will have a go at designing something
> myself,
>
> Actually there are two reasons I have not considered advertising the
> meetings. One is that I had thought of them as being for members only.
> The other is that I am not sure that I could cope all by myself if I
> were the only lug member there along with several potential newbies.
>
> Neil

I feel the same way about being on my own, however there is always
something to talk about. As a group we tend to have an open door policy,
people see Linux its usually those that know about linux drop in,  its
nice for them to find other users out there,

Hopefully you can reach out to new people,  even if its developers using
open source software such as python (even if its python on windows).

I think I am trying to widen the net, and to move forward as a group we
need to do that.

You could find people with no experience right up to people that use
Linux at work or at home.  What we need to try and avoid is becoming
some sort of free windows support service.   While we are a LInux user
group people that use windows and want to say get help with installing
open office are welcome,

End of the day  new users can be invited / directed to join the list,
which if anything else means they are updated on when meetings take
place or more importantly, when meetings are either moved or cancelled
by the organiser.

I have the simple poster up at the shoreline where we meet,  I need to
take the one in for September meeting but so far we have had 1 new user
in the past few months, so don't expect a huge surge of people it would
be nice though.

If people want to attend they will, as we have found here on the list it
takes a few months for people to pluck up the courage to post, or a
topic comes up they can contribute to. So as long as we have regular
meets we are there then they are ready.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Open Mic nights - Wednesday 8pm to 11pm (14+) Free entry
Breakin' Ground - Street dance for young people (8+) Wednesday 6pm
(starts May 11th)

The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day