Re: [LUG] Simple Install question.

On 15/07/11 17:10, JOHN DAVEY wrote:
Hi, I recently downloaded Ubuntu (the latest,11.04 is it?) , opened the zip
file, placed all of the files into a folder called 'ubuntu' the burnt the files
to CD using Nero. This was all done from my XP desktop machine and the disk is
intended as an upgrade for my laptop which currently has an old version of
Debian on it.
I put the disk into the laptop, booted and expected to see an install screen but
it just booted into Debian. I thought there was more to the process that what I
had done but what have I missed out. Do I need to create some kind of boot disk?
Thanks for any replies, JOn Davey.

Sounds like you extracted the CD, what you need to do is burn the ISO as a disk image. In Windows I'd recommend ImgBurn. Basically you have to choose the option to open an image file and burn it to the disc. Then you should get a list of files and folders on the CD.

If you extract the files from the ISO image (it's a disc image rather than a ZIP file) and then burn them to CD it won't have the special CD boot sector so the BIOS won't know what to do with the CD. It sounds like you may have something like WinRAR or 7Zip which is possibly set to open ISO files by default.

There is a how to on the Ubuntu site here which might help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Rob