Re: [LUG] Survey on Linux computers

On 25/06/11 19:14, Joe Buckle wrote:
On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 09:26 +0100, techservices wrote:
Hello everyone

I am trying to get some measure of opinion on thoughts about retailers selling
computers with Linux preinstalled, or at least offered as an option.
I just find myself scratching my head as to why PC World et al don't have a Linux
section. They've even stopped selling boxed distro's of which I used to buy one per
year.

I think to be honest - most of these high street companies have
contracts with MS that state they must only sell that stuff. I'm sure
its far more complicated than that, but that's what I would believe to
be true.

Joe

Well it's been proven that Intel gave backhanders for companies promoting Intel CPUs over AMD etc. I know for a fact Microsoft have sales competitions with things like "a weekend's Ferarri rental" to sales folks who sell Microsoft software, or they certainly did when I worked at Software Warehouse (although the lowly sales drones in the stores just got polo shirts and mouse pads, the licencing sales teams got the big incentives such as the Ferarri hire for the weekend etc).

Rob