Re: [LUG] The Command Line

On 20/06/11 12:13, Tony Sumner wrote:
I was intrigued by Arley Bushill's remarks on the command line and I
recalled that back in 2004 I came across a lovely article about it
that so impressed me that I stored a copy with my web host.

The author is saying that it is better to teach computing using the
command line and the metaphor of a dialogue rather than the usual way
of using the metaphor of a desktop, confused by the alternative
metaphor of the window. I don't teach now but I use the CLI a lot,
especially with emacs and recently with MySQL. So stay with it, Arley.

It is here: http://www.whittycat.me.uk/TheCommandLine.html

Tony

Anyone remember Lotus Framework ? A DOS based application that provided an office suite in a text base UI of frames that could interact via a scripting / macro language called FRED. It was very powerful for its day (and probably now) but someone had to go and get all graphical. It had all the usual tools Wordprocessor, Spreadsheet, Database but you could define a frame type through FRED, so for example you could run a database query in one frame and get the output sent to another newly generated and/or existing frame eg spreadsheet or word processor. We are talking early 386 days here.....

Seen nothing like it since.

Tom.