Re: [LUG] Windows upgrade

On 24/06/11 18:31, Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 05:57:25PM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
On 24/06/11 13:23, Henry Bremridge wrote:
Upgraded a machine from Windows Home Premium to Ultimate.

Anytime upgrade did not work

Took 2 hours to find the right telephone number, then a four telephone call
(the first hour was my calling an 0844 number, the rest of the time
Microsoft called back.

Now it works

Was asked was I happy with the service: yes, very

Was I happy with Microsoft: .....

 From what I understand everything is included out of the box and
it's just a case of entering the correct product key or getting an
anytime upgrade.  Out of interest, was there any reason for going
for Windows Ultimate?

To connect to a windows only establishment and ultimate cost £5 more than
professional

Ahh, not much difference in price then. From what I understand (from my Windows 7 training books), Ultimate is the retail version of Windows 7 Enterprise, and has all the juicy features that they don't want to include in Windows 7 Pro. Nice features, sadly where I'm contracting they aren't prepared to pay the extra (not sure what it is when they're buying licences in the tens or even hundreds of thousands).

And thanks to Tom P: 4 hours was the time on the telephone call.

Seems a long phone call :-s

I wish that place made it easier to connect with Linux

Yep, well at least it's sorted now I guess. Not ideal having to pay though, but I guess it's probably a bit more convenient.

Rob