Re: [LUG] Mounting

On 19/06/11 16:05, Jack Oley wrote:

> Simon - this made sense ... so I edited the fstab file with nano, and added
>   *mount /dev/sda3 /media/OS fuseblk
> rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions 0 0*
> to the file, but this didn't work, I had to skip mounting on start up.
>  So I tried the HDD's UUID (which I established with the *blkid*
> command) in place of the above, and I put the mount point as */ *and the
> type as *ntfs* ... all to no avail.  I also tried this with the same
> options for this mount as the *ext4's *but still no joy ... what am I
> doing wrong!?

The syntax doesn't have "mount" at the start of the line. I suggested
copying the line from /etc/mtab, and the first field of this file device.

/dev/sda3 /media/OS fuseblk
rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions 0 0

I think you are right to use "UUID" and "ntfs" in place of /dev/sda3 and
fuseblk respectively, you probably want to make a mount point for it
somewhere other that /media/OS as well.

> Now I can't start my Ub 11.04 and, even though I log in sudo su during
> recovery mode, I can't open the fstab file and delete this new mount
> addition, as I do not have write permission.  How can this be?  I can
> see this bit of text in the fstab file...

Probably the filesystem is mounted read only.

# mount -w -o remount /

Assuming "/" is the mount point, should change this if it is the case
(use "mount" without any options to check first).

 Simon