Re: [LUG] Mounting

> Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 18:40:33 +0100
> From: simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [LUG] Mounting
>
> On 17/06/11 12:25, Jack Oley wrote:
> > Hi all. Can anyone tell me how I can 'permanently' mount access in
> > Ubuntu so it can see the Windows My Documents (or whatever)? Currently,
> > each time I or my daughter logs on and try to access this folder, I have
> > to enter my password. I've looked in the Sybex Linux book, but still
> > cannot suss this out. Many thanks. Jack.
>
> Sorry would have replied earlier, but I thought this was across the network.
>
> Once it is mounted, you can find the relevant line in /etc/mtab (list of
> file systems mounted), and add that line to /etc/fstab (list of mounts
> to do).

Simon - this made sense ... so I edited the fstab file with nano, and added
  mount /dev/sda3 /media/OS fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions 0 0
to the file, but this didn't work, I had to skip mounting on start up.  So I tried the HDD's UUID (which I established with the blkid command) in place of the above, and I put the mount point as / and the type as ntfs ... all to no avail.  I also tried this with the same options for this mount as the ext4's but still no joy ... what am I doing wrong!?

Now I can't start my Ub 11.04 and, even though I log in sudo su during recovery mode, I can't open the fstab file and delete this new mount addition, as I do not have write permission.  How can this be?  I can see this bit of text in the fstab file...

Any advice welcome!  Thanks, Jack.

> You should check the options you have are what you want (man 8 mount),
> and if it is usually mounted by the automount in a special place you
> probably want to move it (i.e. if home is "/home/simon" "mkdir
> /home/simon/windisk" and change the mount point in /etc/fstab.
I didn't really understand this bit. I looked at man but saw nothing I could try.