Re: [LUG] dont buy a laptop just yet....

On 15/06/11 20:43, Roland Tarver wrote:

> I have a decent (read expensive - Â1100) HP laptop. I question the
> build quality. Some of the casing does not seem to fit perfectly
> together, as I would expect. Also the DVD drives feels really
> "flimsey". Mum's very old Packard bell machine appears to be built to
> a far higher standard.

HP also shipped GNU/Linux laptops which had bits without working
drivers. I think we can safely say HP have dropped from their high point
of Engineering Excellence, at least in the Laptop arena.

> If I were to buy a new laptop i think i wud look at tosh or asus. Note
> that I am not confusing acer with asus. lol ;-) I might look at a
> think pad too - after seeing Rhia's!
>
> Others will no doubt think and act differently... :-)

Thanks for the link to the report, I was surprised the figures were that
starkly different by manufacturer. Leaving Acer as below average but a
fair way from bottom on reliability, which sounds plausible given they
do aim at the lower end of the market with a lot of their products.