Re: [LUG] dont buy a laptop just yet....

On 15/06/11 17:41, Neil Winchurst wrote:
tom wrote:
http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2011/06/13/acer_stock_woes/

Tom te tom te tom

There must be a good reason that so many have not been sold.

Neil

Well if you read the article which is linked from the above link or here [1] and here [2] it appears that there were some "abnormalities" in the inventory across the EMEA region. Looks like there was some inventory stored in Spain.

[1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/13/acer_stock_woes/
[2] http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/06/01/acer_write_down/

I'm guessing it was something to do with management as some abnormalities were spotted when the previous CEO left.

Now as an Acer customer, I can certainly recommend Acer kit. I've had my little Acer Aspire 2920 for 3 years this year, I bought it ex-demo from Comet (it was the last one they had as they were getting in a replacement model) so I suspect it's actually nearer to 4 years old now.

I've not had any problems with it that were down to the quality of the machine, Linux is supported out of the box, everything 'just works (tm)'. I have replaced the hard drive twice, but that was down to the hammering I give the machine, I've replaced hard drives in other laptops too (my Dad's old IBM Thinkpad, a friend's HP, a couple of Dells). I also find that even though it's an uncommon model being a 12.1" machine (but not a netbook) the parts are reasonably cheap, I picked up a replacement keyboard for £15 brand new off eBay when my daughter chucked a McDonalds toy at it (it bounced off the screen and broke the H key, the screen was fine, not a scratch!).

My step-dad also has an Acer Aspire notebook, but a newer model. He's had it going on 18 months now or there abouts and again he's not had any issues, everything worked out the box (it's running Ubuntu 9.04, which reminds me, I really must upgrade it to something newer!) and it's a nice little machine.

I can't comment so much on Acer desktops, I haven't got any experience of recent Acer machines.

Rob